Saturday, January 11, 2014

Three Dollar DIY Doo-Dad Jars

I don't have much storage in my bathroom. There is no medicine cabinet, and the space under the sink is limited. I did buy a little three-tier cart to go in the corner, but it's strictly a functional addition. It's not cute. I want some cute! But I'm also on a budget.

Enter Pinterest. I ran across this intriguing little pin, and decided to attempt it myself. They ended up not only cute, but also about $3 each!

Supplies:
- Americana Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint = $0.70 each. Americana brand acrylic paints are
currently 50% off at Michael's for the month of January. I chose the colors Paprika and Turquoise Waters.
- Paint Brush = $0.59
- Curio Knobs = $1.99 each. World Market has lots of colorful, little cabinet knobs. I love these hand-painted ceramic ones.
- Pickle jars or mason jars.
- Heavy wire cutter or bolt cutter, if needed.

How to:
1. Thoroughly clean the jars. In order to get the pickle smell out, I had to soak them overnight and then run them through the dishwasher several times.
2. Poke a hole through the lids. I did so by swiftly hammering a heavy nail through the lid. Make sure the screw of the curio knob can fit through.
3. Paint the lids, top and bottom. I did 2-3 coats. Let thoroughly dry.
4. Attach the curio knobs. If the screws are very long, you can cut off the remainder with heavy wire cutters or bolt cutters.
5. Ta-da!


1 comment: