Saturday, August 23, 2014

Georgetown to Idaho Springs

In retrospect, maybe I should have trained a little for the Georgetown to Idaho Springs Half Marathon. I figured, so what if I start at 8500 feet? So what if I'm running downhill for 13.1 miles to a final elevation of 7500 feet? So what if some of the course is on trails and gravel roads? I've run a half marathon before without really training. I'll be fiiiiine.
Well, not so much. My quads were absolutely blasted. The day after the race, I needed an assist to even get up from the couch. I had to walk backwards down the parking lot ramp. And stairs? Out of the question.
Despite that, I'm happy with my performance. Although I didn't best my Savannah Half Marathon time (I missed it by 18 seconds), I had a really consistent pace and my heart rate data looks way better than I would have expected for a high altitude run. Clearly I just need to work on my leg strength before tackling my full marathon.
Time to hit the gym!
Below are my official results, and HERE is my GPS watch data if you're curious.


No comments:

Post a Comment